Ankylosing Spondylitis

I have been diagnosed twice with ankylosing spondylitis. I am only 25 years of age and in tremendous pain. My doctor suggested I see a surgeon, who thinks my pain is coming from a herniated disc.
What are my options? I cant afford to be off from work for very long. I have tried anti-inflammatory drugs, steroids, and physical therapy. This started when I was 20.

You should fill in our symptom description form, so we have more specific information.

Also you should tell us exactly what tests and treatment you have had; what doctors you have seen; and their specialty areas.

A MRI scan usually shows a herniated disc - sometimes there are other tests needed - discography, myelography, etc. - usually testing can be done locally.

If you have a herniated disc you may need an endoscopic procedure to treat it rather than open major surgery.

If the problem is not a disc then pain management has much to offer - please see our links to pain management centers.

Sometimes a patient needs a major open spine operation - we recommend exploring all options before taking this approach.

Table of Contents
ask your question